Thursday, March 25, 2010

None for me Please


My family loves ice cream. At least every other night around 7:30 someone will ask when we are having dessert.

Last night when I got home my husband was dishing up the nightly dose of ice cream for everyone. I noticed that he had five bowls out, so I said, "None for me please" He looked surprised. "You don't want any?" I replied, "Nope!" He was so proud of me...went on and on about how strong I was. Thanks, hunny :)

Inside though I did not feel so strong. It was a huge battle. I wanted that darn ice cream so bad. WHY? It is just food! Why does it have such a hold on me? I deal with these kinds of battles all day. Temptations around every corner.

Sometimes, it almost feels like I am at war with food and I do not want to feel like that. I would like to get to the point where I am eating to live and not living to eat!

I love healthy foods and I notice if I have those choices around I will choose them over the junk. So that is good! I stocked up on lots of fruits and veggies and did not buy any new snacky foods.

But, the ice cream stayed. I need to find a healthy evening snack that I can have when everyone else is having their bowl of calories. Any ideas? :)

7 comments:

MaryFran said...

Kudos for your victory over the ice cream!

Sounds like you are just like me....I am addicted to food. I wish I wasn't...but food has a grip on me in an all encompassing way.

Maybe just a healthier version of ice cream (fat free/sugar free/etc etc etc)??? I keep those kinds of ice cream in our freezer. Portion control is the biggie for us though. Because even those healthier versions are not all that healthy if you eat the equivalent to 3 (or more) servings. I bring it home and immediately divy it out into 1/2 cup containers (one serving). It's handy because it's already dished out and there is no temptation to put lots of extra in my bowl!

Reese said...

I love the 1/2 cup idea!! I am going to try that. Thank you!

Loving my Complicated Life! said...

Do not ever deprive yourself from foods you love! The 1/2 c. idea is a great start. I have learned that the taste of food means so much more when it comes in small doses. Moderation is Key! congrats on the self control, but like I said do not deprive yourself or you will end up eating an entire carton of ice cream like I have done many times!

Allison

Reese said...

Allison, I couldn't agree more about moderation. Especially when it comes to my meal portions.

*Tracy* said...

i agree with 1/2 c just so you can get the craving outta the way. lowfat popcorn? theres so many light or lowfat snacks out there these days. take care

Mrs Swan said...

I have read if you blend a frozen banana it is like nana ice cream but I haven't tried it. I really like to freeze those whipped yogurts. Different but I find myself really liking it. Good Luck!

karen said...

Ice cream is a HUGE weakness of mine!!! I couldn't find any of the 1/2 cup containers last time I went to the store .... but then realized that some of my 3 1/2 year old's snack containers are 1/2 cups so I claimed some of those as mine. The hard part NOW is only having 1 at a time :)