Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A little Gloomy News and A little Good News


My annual physical has never been my favorite event, but this time I was looking forward to talking to my doctor about my "plan" and that I had already started losing pounds. He is really supportive and I knew he would be excited for me. The appointment went well and the nurse said that she would call with my test results. She just called. Good news is that my EKG is perfect! YAY for that! Bad news is my overall cholesterol is 246. Blah! and my vitamin D levels are very low. So, the doctor has prescribed me a statin (cholesterol lowering) drug. I usually follow his advice and so far he has not steered me wrong, but I just can't seem to make myself take this. Do any of you all have any experience with taking these drugs?

As of Monday, my weigh in day, I am down another 1.5 pounds! WoooHooo! I'll take it!!

Today I worked out with a friend that is in much better shape than I am. I was a little worried about not being able to keep up, but it turned out to be really motivating! The bad part is that I am dead. I have so much housework to do this afternoon before my munchkins get home from school and all I want to do is sit here and rest my sore body. HA! :) Feel the burn, baby!

I bought a sack of avocados today at Costco. I am looking for some yummy recipes to use them in. For lunch I experimented with some of my favorite ingredients:

1/2 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 diced tomato
2 oz diced grilled chicken breast
a little diced red onion
squirt a bit of lime juice
a few cilantro leaves
mix all together and serve in a romaine lettuce leaf.

So fresh and yummy! I counted it for approx. 275 calories.

Hope you have a great day!

4 comments:

WWSuzi said...

I have the early signs of heart disease and in fact had to have 2 stents put in this year!
So i'm on a statin drug and i've not had any side effects.

MaryFran said...

YAY for the good news from the doctor! Don't let the cholesteral get you down. Mine stayed up and stayed up and stayed up and I stressed thinking that it was never going to drop. Finally it did! Keep doing what you are doing...eating healthy and losing weight! The cholesterol will follow!

*Tracy* said...

yay for the weight loss!take care

karen said...

Congrats on the great loss and the great EKG! I really should see my doctor more often than I do (ummm ... which is basically never for me & only when John has his checkups cause we have the same dr).

You know, I don't think I have EVER had an avocado. I just asked Tom if he likes them and he doesn't think he's ever had any either. How strange is that?

Oh, and I find all of my Dr. Praeger's stuff like the broccoli pancakes (they also do potato crusted fish and awesome little spinach bites and a whooole lot of other stuff) in the "Natural Foods" section of my grocery store. Sometimes they're a little pricey for what I would normally spend but SO worth it!